Saturday, July 26, 2014

ESAD Annual Catalogue Blog Hop


  It is the big launch of Stampin UP! 2014 Annual Catalogue and I am really excited about my first Blog Hop with ESAD. 

 
“What is ESAD?
ESAD stands for "Extra Special Australasian Demonstrators" and is a facebook group just for Australian and New Zealand Independent Stampin' Up! demonstrators. We love what we do & love to share with our customers, friends and blog visitors. We also share what we love in our ESAD Demonstrator community, through swaps, challenges, sharing knowledge, ideas& friendship and we're always there to help and support each other.




 As part of the launch of the Stampin Up! Catalogue we are to create something using items from the 2014-2015 Catalogue. I am so excited about using the new Blendabilities on my project.  Blendabilities, are StampinUP! Alcohol based ink markers.  They are great for creating colour gradients and blending.  I have used them to add some detail to my images.

  Well here it is.  I created an old world, vintage style card.  I create a lot of vintage style cards :)

Materials:
Stamps: World Map, Label Love, The Open Sea
Inks: Basic Grey, So Saffron, Baked Brown Sugar
Blendabilities: Light Coastal Cobana, Nude, Ivory, Colour lifter
Paper: Whisper White, Basic Grey, Naturals Ivory
Accessories: Blender Pen,  Dimensionals

  I started with a Whisper White card base, by sponging and inking lightly with So Saffron.  To create the Old World Map look, I lightly inked the Naturals Ivory card stock. I also used a narrow strip of Whisper White and inked it using the So Saffron. 



Next, I stamped World Map using Baked Brown Sugar.

 I wanted to accent some of the countries and the water bodies. I used Light Coastal Cabana for the water bodies. From the Skin Tone assortment, I used Nude and Ivory. NOTE:  StampinUP! recommends using Whisper White and Very Vanilla when using the Blendabilities.The fiber/sizing in the Whisper White and Very Vanilla are better suited to the Blendabilities.

  As I am creating an Old World, Vintage look, I was not worried if the paper broke down a slight amount.  I used a VERY light touch.  I dabbed a small amount of Light Coastal Cabana around some of the outlines of the sea and added light streaks in some of the middle of the seas. Working VERY lightly with the Blender Pen and Marker lift to "spread" and blend some of the colour.   I wanted it to look blotchy like a well worn map.  You can't see it but the paper is slightly "furry" but you can feel it.  Like I said I wanted the vintage look to the map.
TECHNIQUE TIP: Do not use the tip when blending, this can break down the paper more as it is hard to control the pressure.  I  hold the blender pen or Marker lift so I can use the side of the tip.


    Next I added Ivory Blendability to the inside of the continent outlines I wanted to pop.  NOTE: I am just dabbing very lightly adding a small amount around the edges.  If you like you can on the inside of the Ivory add Nude to add more dimension.  I did not blend any of this I just worked really lightly to add the Nude to the inside of the Ivory. You don't need to add the Nude to the smaller continents, I just wanted the bigger ones to stand out.  Look how the Blendabilites make the continents pop!

  The final World Map looks like this.


I then cut the map image into three strips  to fit a Landscape card.  I mounted the strips onto Basic Grey card stock.
  I stamped the Tall ship from The Open Sea stamp set using Basic Grey ink onto Neutrals Ivory card stock.  I cut the ship out, then mounted it onto a scrap piece of Basic Grey, cut the Basic Grey slightly larger than the ship.   I then rubbed the Bronze Blendability onto a slippery surface (top of an Ink pad case). Using my blender pen I picked up some of this Bronze and blended this onto the wood areas of the ship hull and around the bottom sails. I then dabbed some of the Light Coastal Cabana on the water area under the ship.
I used the Naturals Ivory and the Happy Birthday Greeting from the Label Love. 

As I am writing this blog post, I am realising this sounds like a very long process.  It took me 4 times longer to write this blog than to make the card. I have done many vintage style cards so I do work a bit quick.  This card took me 20 min to do all the blending, inking and stamping.  I took longer in the matting and layout as I had a template in mind and realised it didn't fit the elements I wanted to use, so I matted and rematted, cut and recut.......


    
  I think I am happy with the results and going to make a couple more for my market next week. I have a particular project in mind that would not suit Very Vanilla or Whisper White, so I wanted to test how to use the Blendabilities on other SU! cardstock. However, I'm  Not sure I will be teaching this in my classes yet. It really does take a VERY light touch and my card class has a few beginners in it who may feel a little intimidated by the process. If I teach this in class I will use Very Vanilla card stock and have more of a play with more techniques with Blendabilities first.

  There are so many new products in the 2014-2015 Annual Catalogue, I can't wait to try some of them.  Maybe someone on the blog hop has tried ones I want to get in my next order.

You have either found your way here from Clare's over at  www.crafty-cow.com or you have stumbled across if by luck - either way welcome to my part.  If this is your first stop on the blog hop your next step is Here

  If you have not had a chance to see all the other blog post for the ESAD Annual Catalogue Blog Hop, Check out the other blogs listed below:

1.   Emily Campbell
www.tinykiwicards.blogspot.co.nz 


2.   Kelli Gordon
www.kelliskards.blogspot.com.au

3.   Sharlene Meyer
 www.magpiecreates.com


4.   Delys Cram
www.delysc.wordpress.com


5.   Keryn Campbell
www.kerynscards.com

6.   Monique Fielder
www.stamping-with-moni-q.blogspot.com.au

7.   Kathryn Ruddick
 www.katlodesigns.com

8.   Narelle Hoggard
www.handmadebynarelle.wordpress.com



9.   Ann Gerlach
 www.discoversu.com


10.   Libby Dyson
 www.libbystampz.com


11.  Kelly Kent
www.mypapercraftjourney.com

12.  Amity Knight
 www.stampinamity.com.au


13.  Christie Kunkel
www.christiescreativecorner.blogspot.com



14.  Louise Layton
 www.inkyloulou.blogspot.com.au


15.  Andrea Buckland
www.creatingcardswithandrea.blogspot.com

16.  Yvonne Walker
www.yvonnescreativecorner.blogspot.com 


17.  Sally Williams
 www.sallystampingdelights.blogspot.co.nz 


18.  Debbie Lamb
 www.debstampinstyle.blogspot.co.nz


19.  Nerida Carter
www.stampingjoy.blogspot.com

20.  Richelle Fletcher
www.stampingwithrichelle.blogspot.com

21.  Norelle Targato
www.rellspaperink.wordpress.com

22. Rochelle Blok
www.rochelleblok.blogspot.com.au

23.  Clare Mcilhatton
www.crafty-cow.com

24.  Tracy Speight
www.handmadewarratahstree.blogspot.com.au  YOU ARE HERE.

Happy Blogging;
Tracy


30 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool, what you've done there. Thanks for sharing :-) hopping along :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting. I am enjoying the blog hop. Glad I was able to participate

      Delete
  2. great idea with the blendies. thanks for joining us






















    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Tracy for the step by step and being part of the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project Tracy. I like the way you have presented it. Thanks for participating in the blog hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have enjoyed the blog hop

      Delete
  5. great to have you join in the fun of our blog hop Tracy. Thanks for the step by step guide too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great time. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  6. That is a pretty cool card! Vintage is not my creative style, but you make this look easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Vintage is also a very loose style. I have had a couple of friends in my classes who struggle with making it "messy". This particular card is easier than it looks. Lots of steps though

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your process. You have inspired me to try a vintage card. My 'style' is so clean, so I can see a challenge coming on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I have two friends who are challenged by my Vintage and Grunge style cards. Just remember to keep it loose. I love old, vintage, and masculine styles so it was easier for me once i got past the "messy" stage.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your first blog hop! And thanks for sharing your hints and tips for blendabilities :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! The detail is amazing - very clever idea! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you have enjoyed your first blog hop? So much thought into this great vintages card. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was fun creating this blog hop.

      Delete
  11. Fabulous card Tracy, there sure is a lot of work in the world map background. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome card Tracy! Thanks for showing the step by step how to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rochelle. I had a great time doing this for the blog hop

      Delete
  13. Great card and instructions Tracy.

    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made a beautiful card - and you made it look so easy! I enjoyed looking through the other blogs and all their fantastic and fun ideas. Thank you so much for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey I really really like your blog and think its a really cool blog and I really enjoy reading it so I nominated you for the Leibster award! To find out what to do next just go to my blog www.littlelo16.blogspot.com and you'll find out everything you need to know! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren
      I am so glad you like my blog and thank you for nominating me for the Leibster award.

      Delete