Thursday, June 5, 2014

Why The World Would End Without Art Communities

  Thanks to my husband's constant encouragement, we happened upon a new exciting project in, Yackandandah, Victoria.  We went there by accident,  in April 2014,  while on one of our many trips exploring the Alpine area.  Yackandandah, Victoria is an arts paradise with cozy cafe's, Art Gallery's, Antique shops and a main street with vintage style architecture.


 

  While having a coffee in one of the cafe's in Yackandandah ,Victoria, my husband saw a flyer advertising the Yack Station creative space.  Yack Station is just on the edge of Yakandanda.  It is a work and gallery space for Artists and Craftspersons.    Yack Station Website  As I am frequently looking for creative spaces, I thought I would have a look at this space and artists are always keen to have you admire and maybe purchase their work.  So, we went for a visit to the Yack Station.   
Original "Yackandandah" rail sign. The sign was last known to belong to Jack McLean of Melbourne.

    
   The Yack station has a very large gallery space for the art exhibitions.  The "Salon des Refusés"" exhibition in April was of nudes that were "rejected" by the Ballenga Exhibition.  Rejected?  Really?  Well, what a fantastic way to get a chance to exhibit your work!  The story is, there were over 6000 entries in the Ballenga Exhibition and very few places to fill.  So, one of the artists who's entry was "rejected" decided to hold an exhibition of the pieces that did not get into the Ballenga Exhibition. There were some really nice pieces on exhibit that were "rejected" by the Ballenga Exhibition.

   I was really impressed with how the artists in residence were interspersed with the historical items of the old Yack station.  I hope to get back to visit again.  Maybe one day I will be able to also be a part of a community of artists like Yack station.  I had a great time talking to them about their work and the vision for the Yack station Artist space.
  
   This weekend is the Queen's Birthday weekend.  Why not go for a visit to have a look at the latest exhibition there.   You never know what will be on exhibit next time at the Yack station.   Check out the latest exhibition on their Facebook


30 comments:

  1. My sister is an artist and graduated with her degree in art. She doesn't do as much with it as she should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art was my stress therapy for many years, now it is part of my business as well as a release for stress.

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I love almost all art except graphic violence or sex. The world is art, yet can't have enough art. Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I appreciated the nudes as the human form. Most of them were not graphic. Not likely to draw nudes myself but do like doing portrait drawing.

      Delete
  3. Seems like a great place to visit, and I love how the art is displayed along with the historical items!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a family full of artists and it is so much fun to be surrounded by such talented people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun. My family are creative in the arts and craft but we have a lot of scientists in our family. Makes for interesting conversations.

      Delete
  5. We know of a few local art communities. We love supporting them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy admiring the talents of artists. Sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a great respect for the artist, I admire their work and talent even though I am not an artist. Look at that model railway, it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The model railway when I saw it was not finished, as it is now. It was both a historical representation of Yack station and other railway stations in the area.

      Delete
  8. My Chef-sister is also the artist in the family, one of the reasons she has been so successful in the kitchen. I've always admired artists and wish I had just a little more of that sort of talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artists need admirers of their work as well. :>)

      Delete
  9. art is so important, and should be accessible to all people!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's great to have a community that supports each other like that. Art is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't blame you a bit for wanting to go back to visit. I'd want to return there too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very beautiful place in the Alpine area of Victoria.

      Delete
  12. Nice to learn a bit about the art history of a place. It's amazing how things and signs were done back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. I love finding out the history of places.

      Delete
  13. I think art needs to be celebrated more. In all forms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lovely little blast from the past Tracey. I haven't been to Yackandandah for a great many years, but it is a sweet little town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to go back there and see some of the spaces and cafe's. Next time your in the area check out the Yack Station.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing at the Say G’day party. I’ve just pinned your post to the Say G’Day Saturday Board. This is such a great post-thanks for the Aussie history lesson!

    Hope to see you again this weekend!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is an amazing place. I love the history of places we visit.

      Delete